Create a Symbol
You are now ready to turn the drawing (the rectangle) you created into a button and store the drawing as a button in the Library. In Flash, a symbol is defined as a graphic, button, or movie clip. A graphic symbol is a static image. You can use a graphic when creating an animation. A button symbol responds when you click the mouse, roll over it, or perform some other action. A movie clip symbol is a static image or a piece of animation. Symbols and other items stored in the Library can be used more than once.
Create a Button Symbol
- Choose the Selection tool .
- Click and drag around the rectangle you drew to select it.
- Choose Modify > Convert to Symbol from the menu or press F8. The Convert to Symbol dialog box appears.
- Type Start Button in the Name field.
- Choose Button as the type.
- Click OK.
- Activate the Library, which is located to the right of the Properties tab. The Library panel opens. You should see the Start Button in the Library panel.
Note: If the Library tab is not available, choose Window > Library from the menu. The Library opens.
If you do not see the Start Button, click and drag downward to open the viewing area.
- Press the Delete key to delete the rectangle from the Stage. Don't worry. You have a copy of the Start Button in the Library.
When you click a color box, the color dialog box shown here appears.
Gradients show changes in color. They are located on the bottom row of the Color dialog box. You will use a gradient to create the movie's sky. But first, you must create the gradient you will use.
Create a Gradient
- Choose Window > Color from the menu or press Shift+F9. The Color panel appears.
- Choose Linear in the Type field.
- Near the bottom of the panel, double-click on the first Edit Gradient Range icon . Color boxes appear.
- Click the color blue to select blue.
- Double-click the second Edit Gradient Range icon and then click the color white to select white.
- Click and drag the second Fill Gradient Range icon to the three-quarter point on the Gradient Range slider to increase the amount of white in your gradient.
- Click the Menu Options button to open the menu.
- Click Add Swatch.
- Close the Color panel. Flash adds the gradient you created to the color box.
In this exercise you will create a rectangle and fill it with the gradient you just created. You will then turn the resulting drawing into a symbol and use it later to create the sky.
Use a Gradient
- Choose the Rectangle tool .
- Activate the Property inspector.
- Click the Stroke color box and then click No Color so the stroke will not have a color.
- Click the Fill color box and then click the gradient you created.
- Type 0 in the Rectangle Corners Radius field .
- Click the Stage and drag diagonally to create a rectangle.
Later you will use the drawing you just created. For now, turn it into a graphic symbol.
Create a Graphic Symbol
- Choose the Selection tool.
- Click and drag to create a rectangle around the drawing to select it.
- Choose Modify > Convert to Symbol from the menu. The Convert to Symbol dialog box appears.
- Type Sky in the Name field.
- Choose Graphic as the Type.
- Click OK.
- Activate the Library to view the graphic in the Library.
- Press the Delete key to remove the graphic from the Stage.
|Table of Contents|